May 18, 2020

Angela ~ Repairing An Antique Quilt

My upstairs neighbor asked if I knew how to fix an old quilt that her grandmother made.  
As you can see, some of the fabrics are in shreds with the cotton batting poking out.
I explained how I repair quilts, I applique over the damaged area, leaving the original fabric for posterity, then requilt following the same stitching.
The polka dot fabric is a piece of the new fabric.  I usually use the wrong side out so that the colors are not so bright that it looks odd.  I can rarely find fabrics in the right tint to match old and faded colors.
I like how the strips between the clover shaped squares have embroidered signatures and quite a few have year dates.  The earliest is this one from 1934 and the others are dated through 1937.
I love quilts like these, true treasures and so worth saving for future generations no matter how bad the condition is.  
I'll post next week when I am finished with the quilting and will try to get a shot of the full quilt, it's a twin size.

No comments: