April 17, 2019

Angela ~ Quilt Repair Update - Hand Quilting Has Begun

The repair of the quilt - removing of damaged fabrics and replacing with new pieces - is complete.
I took this photo outside so you could see the whole thing.  The dark blue of the one star kind of sticks out but its in good condition so it stays.  I replaced all fabric in the 2 stars on the upper right.  Some of the pink backgrounds needed replacing and I found a fabric that matches almost exactly to the color of the original.
This shows a couple of blocks where I replaced the fabric, new pink for the star in the upper left, all new fabric for the star in the lower left, new yellow floral for the star in the lower right (it was a vintage pillowcase I picked up for 50 cents. 
Grandma had made the center star with all one plaid fabric, not sure why, but probably that is what she had.  The centers of the stars did not line up well for Grandma or me, so I added a blue & pink print in a hexagon shape to cover the centers and that will also tie it in with the binding as I am going to replace it with this same pink & blue floral.

I've started the hand quilting, taking out the machine stitching as I go.  The center green star is done and some of the pink background.  I'm quilting closer together as cotton batting was used and it is starting to ball up in places since Grandma didn't machine quilt it close together.

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Awesome job!!!

Moira said...

You've done a great job on repairing the quilt! It'll last for many more years now.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

That's what I'm hoping for Moira, I use it every night in the cold months.