October 25, 2019

Angela ~ Small Quilt Repair

I just moved from Texas to Colorado, a big change for me.  Part of the family treasures are the quilts my Nana made.  This one pictured below is a twin size made in the 1930s at my best guess.
So here's my sewing for this week!
Sorry the photo is not better, the sunlight was filtering through the window, which is tinted.
This quilt has had much use and I remember sleeping under it many a time.  You can't see from this photo but some of the fabric is threadbare  and some were just in shreds with holes where the cotton batting was poking through.
The top center dark square, the 3rd row center dark square, the 4th row center square and a bottom one you can't see in this photo, were appliqued over the shredded part to keep it from getting further damaged.  I only found 2 fabrics here at Walmart that sort of worked.  The dark has red cherries but I know the background is too dark.  The 4th ros center square was a bright red with black polka dots, I used it wrong side out and it worked very well.  That's a trick I have used a lot in the past.  It gives the right amount of fading.
The edges are all frayed but I really don't want to 'redo' this quilt as hanging on the wall is the only use it will have besides being folded on a shelf.
I also used a piece of an old cotton sheet to make a sleeve to hang it up, all that I added are easily removed should I choose to.


3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Where in Colorado. I love that state! My very first teaching job was there, and it's also where I met my DH.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Gunnison. We had a dusting of snow already but supposed to have 1-3 inches tomorrow! This will be the first winter since 1981 that I have seen real snow.

Moira said...

love your Grandma's quilt! have fun with the coming snow this week.