January 22, 2019

Moira - Catching up after a long weekend


I had a long weekend and made it into a stay at home quilt retreat.  Didn't even go out of the house on Sat (well except for mail) and Mondya.

These 14 string blocks were made on Friday.   I'm now through 4 colors of my batik strings in this slow moving UFO project.













I got the label made for the back of this quilt.   Yes it is big and in an unusual spot, but the backing didn't cooperate with me when I quilted it at Christmas so I had a long pucker to cover up.  =)



The label went onto this quilt and with that this UFO is officially finished and ready to be listed for sale.


















I finished the final Christmas for last year.  A little cross-body purse made for a niece.   All gifts for that family will now go out in the mail early next week - woohoo.  Fabric chosen was in the Vera Bradley general style because that's what she likes.



And over the last week I've started a new project that will be for myself.  It will be snail themed (goes back to a childhood nickname and collecting snails as a result). 
This is the first block made with orphan block parts from my friend Susan and scraps from my stash.  Block finished at 27" wide and 18" tall.







This is the second block made over the weekend.  Again made with orphan block parts (the 2 rail fences) and scraps from my stash.  Same size as first.












Finished off 2 UFO's on Monday, one of which I can't post a pic of yet.   The second one finished was my London tea towel quilt.

Most of the fabrics in the pieced and appliqued blocks were from ones that I bought at Spencer & Marks while there in London in 1997.  Red flange is by Hoffman fabrics and the scrappy cream tonal background fabrics in the blocks are assorted ones that I've collected over time.  All applique designs are mine.  All total 29 different fabrics are in the quilt.

So all total 4 UFO's were finished over the weekend, and progress made on lots of other things.  =)

2 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I like those batik squares, it will make a beautiful quilt.
Congrats on all your project finishes.

Judy S. said...

Love that Teddy Bear quilt and the string blocks, too! I'm curious about your tea-towel quilt. Did you cut up the towel? I have all the stuff set aside for that kind of quilt, but don't quite know where to start!