February 6, 2018

Moira: small projects last week

Had to stop and clean the sewing room this weekend before it drove me nuts.   But in doing so I unearthed a couple of small UFO's that I've now finished off.


First up was putting the binding onto this potholder made from a UFO block that I don't even remember where or when I got it. 

Second UFO finished up is this hanging kitchen towel.  The solid green is a waffle-weave fabric that I'd found as a remnant at Joann's and is the weight of ready made kitchen towels.  The top and strap of the towel were made from a UFO piece of 30's prints and WOW squares.   And nope, I don't remember what the rest of them were used on....  The top is 6" finished wide.  The button is one of the oodles I'd bought 6 or so months ago when Joann's did a major clearance of buttons. Both of these will go in my gift stash.

Earlier in the week I had also finished off a set of 7 baby bibs that are to be part of a baby gift for a shower in a couple of weeks.  These are made with washcloths with an applique on them and extra wide, double-fold bias tape as the ties.   The bib on the left was made with a fingertip towel that was already embellished with the monkey.








My before work sewing this at this point is working on the next purse that I'm making to sell.  I'm currently in the process of quilting the fabric piece for the outside of what will be another cross-body purse.

The outer 'fabric' is pieced from silk strings that I had left over after cutting silk drapery samples up for swatch sets.   The strings range in size from 1" to about 1.5" after stitching. 

I'm using this oriental print for the lining of the purse body.   And am quilting it from the back so that I can follow the pattern and give extra dimension to the front. 

I'm also working on a pocket for the inside of the purse.  The binding around the edges and the strap will be from a linen/rayon upholstery fabric that has a metallic gold print on it.   Will show pics of that next week.



3 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I know it feels good to clear out old projects. The bibs are adorable and the purse will be fabulous, love the lining.

Cyra said...

I love how you just pick these fabrics out from your stash and they go together perfectly, lol.

Judy S. said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Moira! Nice work on the UFOs also. (Once again Tuesday caught me unaware.... sigh. Where do the weeks go?)