November 21, 2017

Moira - Distractions and Progress

I've been working on the wedding quilt for my niece over the last week.   I figure there are 3 stages to putting the blocks together - making the flying geese, then putting the FG into the block sections, and finally putting the blocks together.    So lots of work on step 1 there - I've got enough of the FG sections to put together about 10 blocks out of the 25 that I need for the quilt.  Lots more to come for the blocks and for the border.

And then because I have a short attention span, I decided to do something different as well over the weekend.   Moda Fabrics and Aurifil thread are co-sponsoring a challenge to use Moda precuts and Aurifil thread to make a mini quilt. 

I decided to make one using one of the Moda charm packs that I've had in my stash forever....and in this case don't even remember where I got this from. 

I used 13 charm squares for the top, 9 more for the backing, and then 6 charm squares for the binding.  So a total of 28 squares out of the 42 that were in the original pack.

Fabrics aren't my style, and it's hard for me to work with ones that are matchy-matchy and blendy.........but once I decided on the blue for the stars it all worked out ok.

I'll either put it up for sale or give it as a gift to someone.

With the holiday weekend coming up I'll continue to work on the wedding quilt, but also plan to get a quilt top for Sunshine finished up so that I can get a stack of tops sent of off for quilting.   One of the tops will be for a challenge as well.


2 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Is there a trick to keeping the triangles from stretching a little when you sew them?

I love the colors in the charm squares, your blocks turned out lovely.

Moira said...

I'm paper-piecing them so making them isn't a problem. I have to be careful though when I sew things together because some of the triangles end up with bias edges. I end up pinning my rows so that I can get things lined up.