September 5, 2017

Moira - Holiday weekends are made for sewing

Love having long weekends and being single because all of that means that I can sew to my hearts content.  

One of the projects I worked on is actually for me - I know shock of shocks...lol.   All blocks are now finished for my hankie butterfly quilt.  I used 8 hankies in the blocks.   The center block is a very lightweight linen fingertip towel that I folded to fit the block and then appliqued down.
Closeup pic of one of the butterflies resting on the fabric I'll be using for sashing.  I'll be binding with more of the green fabric.

Backing will have 4 more hankies that didn't work for butterflies on the front appliqued to it.   One of them I'm going to send off to an online friend to embroider the label onto.   Will have to back it with some fusible interfacing to make it work for the embroidery.
I then added the top and bottom borders to this quilt.   Thinking about adding a final border around it to add a little more size to it.
And after cutting a bazillion 2.5" blocks from my green scraps with no discernible difference made to the amount of scraps that I have, I've started piecing the next critter quilt for sale.   This pic shows the first 16 rows together - halfway done.  from here up is a mainly the WOW background, so it should not take as long to piece as this part did.   (Some of my WOW's are in strip-sets for faster piecing.)
And the last major thing that was accomplished this weekend was to get my sewing room cleaned up.  That started with my sorting and putting away these scraps......these all came out of the over-stuffed brown basket you can see on the shelf below and a couple of shopping bags.   All were put away (well the greens were all cut up into 2.5" squares) and the basket emptied once again.  Unfortunately I realized that in spite of the scrap quilts I've been making lately, I have actually lost ground because the totes are almost to full to put the lids on....oops.....must sew faster.

And here is a pic looking across my sewing room.   I can actually get to the totes of my thread now without risking life and limb trying to step across piles to get there.  Till have work to do but progress is being made.  =)

2 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

The butterfly quilt is wonderful, it looks like the butterflies are flitting around in the bushes.
You're a tease with that half of a critter...I'm guessing a cat.
Congrats on getting the sewing room more organized. I'm working on my bed/living/craft room, my little 10 x 12.

Cyra said...

I'm still in awe of how much sewing you get done each week.
Love the cat squares block.