March 4, 2012

Angela: TAST Couching Stitch

Here's this week's stitching journal page with the featured stitch of the week: Couching.  I really could not get my head around using this stitch creatively.   All  my compatriots here have put me to shame.
Couching is fairly easy, you lay down a thread or some other type thing and stitch it into place much like the Lilliputians held down Gulliver.  I did have issues with the lines staying straight but that may be more to do with me using 6 strand embroidery thread rather than something more substantial.  Perhaps I should have used ribbon or even a yarn.  Not my favorite page but it will do.
So on February 28, 1784 John Wesley chartered the Methodist Church and this is their symbol,  a cross with the red flame of the Holy Spirit.  To read more of why I chose this symbol please visit my blog.


11 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I find it much easier to couch a straight line when it is against something, like a fabric edge. I think of couching as more of a freeform stitch.

Even so, another great example!

Suztats said...

Another bit of history I didn't know. Thank you. Nicely couched.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I like your Gulliver analogy. It is very appropriate. I think you did a great job on this. I am working with couching strings of beads for my BJP and it can be a challenge. I keep learning more and more interesting trivia from you. Now if I could remember it~lol.

Debra Dixon said...

Thankfully, remembering the trivia is not the challenge. Well, maybe! LOL!

Barbara C said...

Very elegant execution of this classic image. I also liked the Gulliver reference.

Judy S. said...

I'll never do couching again without thinking of Gulliver! Did you find that the embroidery floss "spread" when you laid it down to couch it? Mine sure did. Maybe because it's not really twisted? Anyway, I like what you came up with a lot and always look forward to see what historical tidbit you will highlight next!

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Mine did not spread but I think it would have looked better had it been thicker. Live & learn.

Debra Dixon said...

The way I look at it--we are all learning; otherwise, what's the point?

Anonymous said...

I like this tag very much. I've seen the symbol on many a banner at Methodist churches, and think you did a great job of reproducing it. If you hadn't said anything about straight lines, my eye wouldn't have picked up the little bit of difference.

jenclair said...

I grew up a Methodist, so the John Wesley reference strikes a cord. I like the contrast of the red and black on the couching!

Peacock said...

I really like the way you couched the red thread with black and the black thread with red!