October 17, 2017

Moira: Finishes and a beginning

Found a laser cut kit (well really just the black applique seen here) in my stash last week.   And instead of just hiding it away again (there are 1 more like this and two coordinating ones hiding somewhere...), I decided to finish it up.

The black is one premade, laser cut piece.   And after having been packaged for yrs was a pill to get to lay flat enough to iron down.  I did raw-edge quilting around most of the edges on the black to hold it down and quilt at the same time.  Bound it in black kona.    This will be going up for sale.
I also decided what the theme of next years BOM was going to be.   The title of the BOM is going to be "Calico Zoo" and will feature 12 different zoo animals.  I drew up and made the first block (early for a change!) to see how it would look.   Have decided on 6 more critter for the zoo and thinking about what other ones to add to it to finish off the 12, and possibly a few extras.

This is all from scraps, and there are a couple of 3D elements in the block - the man and the ears.  In addition, the face is padded slightly..   I plan to write the patterns with two ways to make it - with or without the 3D elements.   And I'm hoping to have 3D elements in most of the blocks.




Final project for the weekend was this mini wall-hanging.  I remade the Navy bear for my wall-hanging, but that then left this block as an orphan block.   And instead of letting him languish in my stash I've finished him off as a 12" wall hanging. 

The red is a 1" cut flange and the binding was sewn at 3/8", so only about 1/8" of the red shows.    I like this look so i'm going to do something similar for the military bear wall hanging, but with the final flange being bigger. 

This will be sent off to my cousin this afternoon as a surprise gift.   The bear is named after her Dad, my Uncle Charles.  So I thought the fitting home for him with be with her.

1 comment:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Wow, I love the stained glass effect on your laser cut piece, it's just gorgeous.
The lion is too cute for words and the background is perfect. The 3D effects are wonderful.
I'm glad to see the Navy bear is going to have a good home.