March 24, 2012

Suz-TAST and Chikan Embroidery

Here is my TAST for this week. The barred chain and alternating barred chain were fairly easy to stitch, but I must say I was not at all inspired, so I just practiced the stitches. Ho hum.


I still have to do last week's TAST of the whipped wheel. I'll start it this evening.






I have been stitching on my Chikan Embroidery SAL, and I've finished lesson 3. yay! Here's a pic to date:

I am using a hand-dyed variegated embroidery floss in the colour 'pink grapefruit' and stitching on muslin.
The stitching is held up in front of the window to show the patterns created by the Chikan stitches.

Doesn't it look interesting? I wonder if I had used a more sheer fabric, just how much of the pattern would show.

I am enjoying this SAL! Thanks Anita.
















I am still experiencing some computer difficulties, but hope to have that all sorted out pretty soon. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs from Suz

13 comments:

Suztats said...

Hmmmm, this was supposed to post after 4:00 p.m., but it seems it didn't work properly, and posted right away. Sorry about that. Comp problems...argh!

Judy S. said...

I felt the same way about this stitch. Your chikan embroidery is so interesting. What a pretty colored thread! How large is that piece? It's really nice.

Suztats said...

Hi Judy,
The material piece is ~18"x22" and the area of design is ~ 10"x 7.5". I'm finding it fun to learn these stitch techniques.
Hugs

Carol-Ann said...

Your Chilkan embroidery is coming along beautifully and the coloured thread, well, "pink grapefruit" looks as delicious as the fruit itself!

Suztats said...

Thanks Carol. It's quite subtle, but pretty.

Debra Dixon said...

I really think your barred chain is one of the nicer examples I've seen. I like the abstract feeling.

Suztats said...

Thanks, Debra. :-)

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I agree about the barred chain Suz. I also agree about the Chikan...fun! Your variegated thread is working out beautifully. Isn't it amazing how delicate it seems despite so much stitching. I just finished lesson 3 today. It doesn't seem like there can be a lot more. Have you planned what you are going to do with yours?

Cyra said...

All these stitches are lovely Suz. Inspiring me to have a go at the dreaded barred chain. And isn't the Chikan gorgeous. So delicate and dreamy. A job well done.

Barbara C said...

Your Chikan design is so delicate. It's just lovely, beautiful work.

Suztats said...

Thank you Barbara. Anita gave us the design to stitch, and I love how it looks all stitched.
Hugs

Suztats said...

You're right, Connie, with all that stitching, I would expect the Chikan to look heavy, but it's so delicate. I really like the effect of the shadow-work. Have you made plans for your piece? Until you asked, I hadn't even thought about it.

Suztats said...

Thanks Cy. I found the barred chain easy to do, but wasn't inspired by it, unfortunately. Maybe you'll have better luck.