August 15, 2017

Moira - and it's into August.......

I'm making slow progress on several projects, but only have pics for one of them.  

This week saw me making progress on the quilting of the swans commissoned quilt.  At this point I have about half of it done.  I'm meandering the quilt and thankfully the old machine has been cooperating with me now that I'm using aurifil thread for the quilting. Unfornately, the backing has not been as nice.....there are several places where it shifted and pleated as I stitched and now I have to figure out how to take care of it.   In the meantime I've unpinned all of the remaining area and smoothed out the backing.   I'm only pinning part and quilting that part before pinning more so this doesn't happen again.

On the hatbox project, I've added the side pieces to these scrappy string strips and trimmed the blocks down to 10" unfinished.

















Here are the blocks that are done now laid out into rows.   Bottom two are now sewn together the others are pinned together in stacks.














And the fabrics that will be used for the three remaining hatboxes that I need to make.  The polka dot fabrics will be the vertical side pieces of the attic window blocks, a darker cream-on-cream tonal fabric will be the bottom piece of the attic window blocks.   the remaining fabrics will be the big parts of the hatboxes.  Still to be pulled from my scraps are the bands for the hatboxes.

However, in the next week I need to finish up the swans and a sample for a pattern that I've designed and that will be used in a blog hop in September/October this year.    And if there is time, then I want to make some to use to carry the breakfast pouches that I make for breakfast to keep them warm till I get to work and can eat them.

4 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

The hat box quilt is turning out very pretty!
Sorry you had troubles with the machine quilting, I've never done that so I don't have any suggestions.

Cyra said...

I hope the backing of your swan quilt behaves itself this time. So not fun when it folds up on itself like that.

The hatbox quilt is coming on a treat.

Judy S. said...

Love the pink and brown combo! Can't wait to see the hat boxes; that sound like a difficult project.

Moira said...

I hope the rest of it behaves as well Cyra!